Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Snorkling

Today Austin finished his first set of tests for the semester. He did so well and I was so proud of him. We went to the beach for a little bit to just let him relax after a very stressful month for him. We went to a beach Called Governor's beach which is in the middle of the famous 7 mile beach stretch. We just swam and relaxed for a bit. Then we decided to take the kids out to this reef that is a little way out in the water and all snorkel together since we have not had a chance to do that for a long time. As we were getting on our snorkel gear a storm rolled over town about 3 miles away from where we were. It was crazy, we could see the 3 cruise ships that were in port today and when the storm rolled over we couldn't see any of them the rain was that heavy. It was so cool looking. As we were swimming to the reef the storm had moved out over the ocean a little more and there was crazy thunder going on. It was so cool and a little eery to have your head in the water and hear thunder going on.

When we got to the reef which was about 3/4 of a mile out all these fish came swimming around us. They were getting so close to us we could almost touch them. Allie starts to freak out because they were so close to us. She was splashing, kicking, screaming, and clawing at Austin. I was under water looking at her and just laughing my head off. (I know I am a mean mom) The more she splashed and kicked the more fish came swimming over to see what was going on. Austin swam with her away from the reef and got her to pull her head out of the water and got her somewhat calm. However, here was no way she was getting near that reef again. I took Kaity and swam towards them and Kaity got mad at me and said "mom you are going the wrong way, swim back to the fish)". (yeah, my girls are so opposite) Usually Allie loves snorkeling but this just freaked her out being so far out and all the fish swimming so close. I took Allie and Kaity went back to the reef with Austin. I tried to talk Allie into going back to the reef but it was a loosing battle so we started to swim back to shore. When we were about half way back another thunder storm started going on over the north part of the island. It was so cool to be in the water and hear 2 separate storms going on and being in the calm middle of them. I LOVED it. When we got back to the shore Allie snorkeled and dove for sea shells. I just sat on the beach and watched the storms. I was so glad I got to experience that. When Austin and Kaity started to swim in I swam out to meet them. As I was swimming to them Allie saw a sting ray swimming by. I flagged Austin and Kaity over to see the sting ray. Kaity took off after that stingray. I mean she booked it in the water. I had swim hard to catch up to her. I finally did and pulled her head out of the water and she said "mom let me go I want to hold that sting ray". I just laughed and explained to her that we can't hold the stingray unless we are out at stingray city. She is so cute and fearless it scares me. It was a great day and one other reason why I love my life.

6 comments:

Hill said...

Brave little Kaity, she kills me. I think that I would feel the same way as Allie.

Fords said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fords said...

Sounds like so much fun! I am so jealous of your beach life...I LoVE snorkling!

Chris said...

What a great experience.

Anonymous said...

Grammy says...
Ha-Ha. I can just see Allie clawing and screaming her way up on Austin. I bet he was laughing too! Had to be a bit frustrating though. So interesting to see the difference in the two girls. Weren't you scared a hurricane would come or that lightning would strike the water? I fear for you, but I'm sure y'all knew it was safe. Love forever and ever, Mom

Heidy said...

It was safe the storms were far enough away from us so we were not in harms way. It was actually pretty clear around where we were. It is just so flat a storm 3 miles away looks closer because nothing is in the way.