Tuesday, July 1, 2008

June Fun

I finally downloaded my pictures for the month of June. We started June out with swimming lessons for Allie and Kaity. They loved it.


Allie was funny. She kept trying to help Kaity so she wouldn't drown even though she wouldn't be any help if they were in any danger.

Allie did really good and she got to where she could swim 5 feet or so. This is her swimming to the steps.
They both practiced going under the water about a million times. They had to make sure I was watching them every time and I had count how long they stayed under . When they would come out they would say " How long did I hold my breath that time." Then I would have to keep telling them 10 sec. and increase the number of seconds each time they went under.


This is Kaity getting instruction on going under the water and practicing kicking at the same time.

Well swimming was fun for the girls. I still have a lot of practice and teaching to do with them but I'm sure we will be in the water enough that they will get plenty of practice over the next few years. They will probably come back from the island swimming like fish.





We have had lots of fun up at Nanny's house running through the sprinkler with the cousins and eating Popsicles. Thank goodness for Popsicles in the hot summer heat!



Kaity wasn't too much for running through the sprinklers but she did ride her bike a lot and stand just out of reach of the sprinkler and try to karate chop the water droplets.
Allie had lots of fun doing her favorite thing cartwheels through the sprinkler. She also helped the younger kids run though the water. Then had a fun water fight with dad.
Finally to end the month we had the Relay for Life. This is our third year that we have participated. It is a really fun time. I'll do a quick run down for those of you that don't know what it is. You get a team and try to get people to sponsor you with a money donation. Then on the night of the relay someone from each team has to be walking on the track for the duration of the relay. It starts about 6p.m. and ends about 7 a.m. the next morning. All the money raised is donated to the American Cancer Society.
To start the relay off any one who is a cancer survivor does a victory lap and gets a survivor medal and a balloon to release.
Allie and Kaity decided to walk the survivors lap with Austin this year. It really hit me seeing them walk with him. I thought ' he is walking with his two biggest reasons he fought his cancer so hard and they are why didn't give up'. Each day he gets to see his little girls grow is such a blessing. Needless to say I cryed the entire time they were walking.

Austin
Then to keep me crying Austin's dads cousin was the opening speaker and he told of his daughter Malory's battle with cancer she lost a few years ago. It was hard to relive her story. After that the rest of the night was a lot of fun. Allie and Kaity's dance group danced. They did a good job.

At about 11 p.m. they turn the lights off at the track and have luminaries with names of people who have survived or died of cancer lining the track and have a minute of silence in remembrance to those who have fought cancer. It is a really neat experience. I am glad that we have been able to participate and contribute the past 3 years. It is amazing to see how many people have been effected by cancer or had a loved one effected with it.

7 comments:

Jackie said...

Ok you made me cry. What an awesome relay.

I love the swimming pictures. Before we moved to Puerto Rico I had Jake and Brooklyn in swimming lessons for a solid year. You can't live on an island and not be able to swim. Way to go girls!

Hill said...

Wow, what an awesome month! so busy. we really need to get together before the August, girly, so get your buns up here!

Kelsey said...

That's really amazing Heidy, it sounds way cool! You're girls are so beautiful!

Ashley Garbe Smith said...

What a great experience for your family. Thank you so much for sharing. When are you going to be up here next? We need to see you at least one more time before you leave!

Christy said...

Wow, that is really incredible. I love seeing you guys on this end of it!! love you

Lori said...

The race for Cancer, that just touched my heart. I am so happy your hubby is okay. I love the swimming pictures. Summer is the best huh.

Corynn said...

This makes me realize that you guys are doing things without us there. I guess I like to tell myself that I'm not really missing out on anything. But We are. I wish we could see you guys one more time before you go. I wish Drae could see you be for you go. Kaity has grown up so much. And holy crap Talia looks as big as Allie. I have to say. I'm not too sad about missing the relay this year. I wonder if we'll do it when your gone? I love you all.